Saturday, November 5, 2016

The Natural Way

I biked first on the path,
and then on the road,
when pedestrians and pebbles
appeared too fragile to navigate around.

The roads, now empty,
provided a rebellious experience,
yellow lines teasing with chants;
"You shouldn't be here" and "You don't belong."

Running traffic lights and
peaking down gated streets,
I giggled often at the posted sign;
"COYOTE INFORMATIONAL MEETING TONIGHT."

"Do you think coyotes drink tea?"
Surely they are more sophisticated, 
knowing nothing of HOA's and 
this fear that would keep one locked inside.

When later roads returned to their
unusual and crowded state,
the space was lost for these
zig-zag routes and inside jokes.

Blind drivers being a greater threat
than any untamed creature 
whose eyes might see me.
I again returned to the natural way.

"Coyote ahead," a women warned, 
and I went anyway.
Imagining if he stopped me,
surely, it would only be for a cup of hot tea.