Monday, August 2, 2010

Beat that Dead Horse!

It really hit me today that there is a lot of time in mainline churches devoted to complaining about how the membership is dwindling and how the programs are barely keeping our heads above water. I hear a lot of talk about 'this' (my) generation and how frustrating it is that they they don't support the agenda of the mainliners. Usually I am the one leading the conversation, venting to friends or family, but today I just listened, with compassion, to the frustration of a person who cares deeply about their congregation and who feels alienated in this journey of communal preservation. It was touching, really, to witness the honest frustration of a person who is passionate about their ministry-I heard myself in their confessions.

As a passionate believer in the United Methodist's "Open Door" slogan, it's daunting to think that if the rate of membership keeps dropping in our churches we will be permanently closing most doors by the time I turn fifty. And it is tempting to keep pointing the finger at my friends, my generational colleagues, for choosing entertainment over theological depth, sports games over worship services,  individual 'sprituality' over organized religion. There are many reasons my presence on Sunday morning lowers the demographic of the entire worship service by about twenty years but in the end I think the finger is pointed at me. At us. For trying to keep alive things that are important to us but are meaningless and irrelevant to a world which is so much in need of something to believe in. We hold so tight to ideas of membership and traditional worship that we forget that we are called to make Disciples of Christ.

Our mission statement isn't; "let's all focus our energy on complaining about those selfish young people who don't want what we have." It isn't "let's sit around and try to do the same thing that hasn't worked for twelve years one more time." It isn't even to make members of the Methodist church. But if we are going to take seriously this whole making Disciples commission that Jesus has given us we are going to have to let go of the church and hold on to the message. We have something valuable to offer but it isn't dependent on the organ, the hymns, or even committee meetings. It is dependent on our passion to serve Jesus Christ, our willingness to be open to the movement of the Spirit in the community and our commitment to our call to introduce others to a God who claims they are loved for exactly who they are at that moment. This God we have heard invites us to wrestle in the desert, to rest in the valley, and to wander in the wilderness.
A member of Hope asked recently, "What is your job?" "Well, what have you been told?" I asked. He explained that his understanding is that I am here to attract young people, to bring in those 20s to 40s that are missing from our congregation but not from our wider community. I thought for a moment and said "I am here to grow your church." Maybe I said it because I thought that was what he wanted to hear. To be assured that there was still the possibility to preserve something that has brought so much meaning to his life, that someone else cared like he did about his church. I understand because I have chosen to pursue a career in ministry because I believe Christianity and the church have something to offer a world that has always been broken, even before my generation came along. For me, it's as much about opening the door so that people can have a supportive church family as it is opening the door to get members out so they can experience the challenges and rewards of living a life of Discipleship.

It is my hope that while I am serving at Hope United Methodist Church the participation level will increase and in many ways I do believe that is why I am here. But that will all be dependent on the churches collective ability to make this call to be and create Disciples of Christ the priority over the details of 'church' and for the leadership to reinforce that mission. What if we just committed to live passionate lives of Discipleship? To try new things? To let go of some old traditions? To care for one another and love one another as if we were a family? Whether you are 2 years old or 99, that is something we all need, to be uncomfortable in a comfortable place. To grow deeper in faith while being supported by the community who loves and understands the journey you are on because we are all sojourners in our faith.

I do believe there is limitless, unpredictable possibility in those communities who feel the Spirit on fire in their hearts and are passionate about doing whatever they can to share that love and grace they feel poured out over them with the world. Whatever the results are, this is the congregation I want to lead.