Sunday, May 28, 2017

More Than A Memory

Two years ago, I stood up to give the pastoral prayer like I do every Sunday. I had been handed the prayer cards just as the prayer preparation hymn was ending and so hadn’t had time to scan them before beginning the prayer. As I began to simultaneously read and speak the prayer concerns, I found myself caught off guard by the words I had heard myself speaking.

“Josephine Hernandez, 38, passed away peacefully.”

It felt as if someone was standing behind me, their hands wrapped around my throat, squeezing. I opened my mouth but nothing could push through the lump now lodged deep in my throat. For the first time in my ministry career I found myself laid out just trying to catch my breath.

Jo and I had become friends over the past two years visiting at local coffee shops on and off over the course of her cancer diagnosis. I always left in awe of her wisdom, courage, and perseverance. Our time together gave me strength and hope and perspective.

Reading the prayer card that morning I learned there would be no exchanged text messages, no more talks and tears over hot teas and healthy snacks. Jo, despite her strength, resourcefulness, and will to live beyond a cancer which had invaded her body, was gone.

Unlike most pastoral care contexts, in the moment I read that prayer card I had no time to mentally prepare or emotionally process, to cover up grief with the mask a professional role so conveniently provides. In that moment, I was nothing more than broken open, struggling to pick up and put back together the pieces of me. Sitting back down in the pew I buried my face in my hands and cried. And for the rest of that afternoon the voices inside me relentlessly scorned my lack of composure and control.

I remember this story today because for the past few months I have been contemplating a pattern I’ve observed here at Hope. A pattern I sense is reflected in the microcosm of my own experience the morning I learned of Jo’s death. The overwhelming experience of feeling shame in the sharing of our own brokenness.

My concern with this pattern is not with the experience of shame in and of itself but around the ways in which this shame manifests itself to prevent us from being vulnerable and therefore from truly connecting to one another in this community.

Brene Brown writes, “The difficult thing is that vulnerability is the first thing I look for in you and the last thing I’m willing to show you. In you, it’s courage. In me, it’s weakness.”

So, I begin with a moment of true empathy. If anyone should be comfortable modeling moments of vulnerability it should be a spiritual leader who embraces the reality that we are created as broken and vulnerable and beautiful beings in need of God’s continual salvation.

If I strive to model for you what perhaps you expect, and most definitely what I expect from myself -this perfect reflection of this wider culture of mastery, a culture of problem-solving, a culture of wanting to move on with things for the sake of not burdening anyone with the inconvenience of our humanity - then I am distracting the people of this community from the pathways that would lead to healing, wholeness, and true belonging.
If belonging is achieved by having the courage to show up and be seen, then we better believe that what we are about to see is not going to be half-baked smiles and one-word answers. Being vulnerable in community can feel a lot like throwing a glass vase on the floor, taking off your shoes, and moving forward with the hope that you don’t get cut.

In this community, it seems we must have been cut a lot. Here we wear steel-toe boots with rubber socks. We warn people when we think we “might” cry as if it were equivalent to “maybe” throwing up. We use our emotional vulnerability as a liability to prevent us from participating in gatherings. We apologize for tears as if we just exposed the other to some contagious incurable disease.

I’ve spent a lot of time reflecting on these encounters with curiosity and concern. If not in this church, if not in the presence of God joined together as the Body of Christ, then where do we find safe space to weep for the loss that surrounds us?

Today’s Scripture drops us off in territory I would label as worthy of emotional whiplash. Jesus was dead, then he was alive, now he’s alive but he’s gone as though he were dead.

Dr. Pauline Boss, Professor Emeritus at the University of Minnesota, created a new field in family psychology when she coined the term, “ambiguous loss.” Dr. Boss defines ambiguous loss as a loss that leaves a person searching for answers, and thus complicates and delays the process of grieving, and often results in unresolved grief.

She writes that ambiguous loss can occur from Alzheimer's disease and other dementias; traumatic brain injury; AIDS, autism, depression, addiction, or other chronic mental or physical illnesses that take a loved one's mind or memory away.

If, at its core, ambiguous loss results from the experience of someone being both here and not here-
I would argue that losing a loved one to a sudden ascension after already grieving their death from crucifixion followed celebrating two days later when they were raised from the dead- that the ascension of Jesus could also classify as an ambiguous loss.

The significance of classifying the ascension of Christ as an ambiguous loss is that we relinquish the possibility of full closure for the promise of continued relationship. By naming our loss it highlights the implications for our lives today. It makes the absence of Christ new again and in turn raises our awareness to His presence in our lives today.

Ashley Davis Bush writes that “transcending loss is the process of learning to live with love and loss side by side in a way that brings greater meaning and purpose into our lives.”

To be in relationship with Christ requires a recognition not just of the ways in which God is present in our lives but also acknowledgement of the ways in which Christ is absent. I grieve the loss of Jesus the most potently when I bump up against the limitations of my own humanity. I often imagine that if Christ laid hands on someone in this hospital bed, they would be healed. If Christ listened to the person in my office, they would be made whole. In my helplessness, Christ becomes the unreachable magic wand that resolves all conflict and prevents all suffering, if only he were here.

In grief, the story I tell myself is this: If Christ were here, I wouldn’t have to be human. I wouldn’t have to be vulnerable. I wouldn’t have to be broken.

For me, in his absence Jesus becomes the great fixer. And I have forgotten, despite the pressures and expectations of the people surrounding him, that this was never who Jesus was, the fixer. The gift of Jesus was his ability to remain present in the permanence of brokenness and to invite others to experience the miracles of belonging to such a narrative.

In The Feast of Ascension and the Human Experience, Nathan Clair writes that, “The Ascension of Jesus articulates a kind of manifesto that calls us not to rise to heavenly places of prestige, privilege and power, but to run unhindered into the embodied fullness of the human experience—to joyfully proclaim in our living that one day here on this good earth made new, in our bodies, humanity will dwell fully and freely with God precisely because God has already received us in the body of Christ.” 

At its core, the Ascension is a call to connection and for this reason the loss of Jesus is one we will never find closure. It is an invitation into an unfolding narrative, an ongoing relationship.

This past Spring, I received news that my clergy friend had lost his twin boys when his wife went into labor at only twenty-eight weeks. Eloquent and grace-filled in nature, to me, my friend was a model for all those who feared the repercussions of grieving loss anywhere besides behind the safety of closed doors. I admired the courage he showed in posting online a picture as he solemnly held his stillborn son. I was moved by the words he shared with his congregation on his first week back, confessing to them:

“But I have not grieved well — whatever that may mean. My grief has been made of spit and mud, staring up at the heavens from a pit where light does not reach.

No one tells you how heavy the emptiness of grief can be. How it coils around every organ, every muscle, and squeezes. How it paralyzes you until even getting out of bed in the morning is a great and strenuous task.

All I want to do is hold my boys again. To feel the touch of their skin on mine. But I look down, and my arms are empty. I look at their clothes hanging in the closet; their toys lying in a corner, unplayed with; their nursery, empty and forbidden.

In Ezra and Leo’s absence, I have felt God’s absence.”

If we desire Christ to be more than a stagnant memory of our collective pastime, we must accept that vulnerability is the price we pay to belong to God. To belong to one another.

When we have known the presence of someone we love, we inevitably experience the absence of who we knew them to be. And we grieve. The pain we feel, the tears we shed, are fruits of memories come again to life. If we are a community that claims to be in relationship with a living Christ, to have felt the presence of Christ in our lives, then pain, sorrow, and sadness will be fruits of our faithfulness. Grief will be a regular part of our work.


But this grief is not busy work assigned to bide our time but an employment of our humanity for the building up anew of the Body of Christ in this world, in our lives. A building up of the Body, so that in this great absence, love might break through and together we might meet again the Christ we thought we once knew.