Tuesday, February 3, 2015

The Innovator and The Institution: Rules for Engagement

*The plan (oh, there so was a plan) was to write a few “rules” around ways that innovation and the institution can understand the other since I think they truly can only function effectively in an environment of interdependence. Except, I tend on the innovator side by nature and I got a little carried away with “rule one” and so now this may or may not be a series of posts…in addition, I started doubting the word rule because it suggests commitment and uniformity...but I couldn't think of another word for rule....so really it's a miracle this post is being posted at all let alone thinking I would post more "rules" given the challenge I seem to have channeling the institution in me to structure my posts. 
So, here, you go: my first, and perhaps only, humble rule-suggestion-hope-dream-whatever-the-right-word-is for the institution and the innovator in all of us to find a place inside to belong. 

Rule One: We Really Do All Belong

Don’t feel bad, Institution, even Innovators don’t know what to do with themselves. 
It’s like the Institution had a party, invited the Innovator because they thought it was the right thing to do but then it’s 3am and everyone’s gone and we’re still standing on the table singing “I Will Survive.”
Yeah, we’re that guy.
But, here’s a secret. We aren’t trying to be innovative. We’ve been this way all our lives and we are fully capable of exhausting ourselves with our own ideas.
Our ideas are like bunnies…
if the season was always Spring…
and there were no coyotes.                       (*Hashtag-poor bunnies.)
What do you do with all these bunnies?
Shoulder Shrug. Cue: Sweet Smile. We don’t know.
Innovators are the kids that decided they were going to make our own butterfly costume in third grade and that the wings definitely had to be to scale even though we later discovered that meant not being able to fit through the doorways on Halloween night. People still gave us candy. They just threw is at us from inside.
This is a true story.
Of this girl I knew.
It wasn’t me.
Yes, it was.
It was totally me. And if you know me, the only surprising part of the “Night-I-Got-a-Concussion-from-a-Flying-Snickers-Bar” Story is that I do not walk around still wearing these wings. I would but I hadn’t thought of it until just now. (*Hashtag-game on).
Only, here’s the thing. Home Depot charges a lot for the refrigerator boxes required to make wings scaled to my body, and seriously, a money-saving argument could be made that I do walk around with wings on. Maybe all innovators do.
You just may not identify them as wings because I think for innovators our ideas, our imaginations, are our wings. And if we can’t spread them out without everyone getting all upset because of stuff like, “oh, there go all the papers flying off the desk,” or “seriously, we just replaced that glass window two weeks ago,” then it’s going to be really hard for us to feel safe being fully present. Our wings, this thing everyone calls “innovation,” is a hot mess. But these wings are also a beautiful possibility that one day we all might take flight.
And if we all can’t risk the mess so that our ideas and our creativity have no space, then how could we ever fly to this new place we are dreaming of?
And that’s the whole point, of our belonging in this place together, isn’t it? To fly up and see beyond the place that we are.
Institution, Innovators know you look at us sometimes and think, “Holy crap, kid, this is great but you’re never going to fit through the door” and right in that panicking moment sits the power of the institution, the institutional magical power... to craft the doorway a little wider, to stretch the ceiling a little taller, so there is a place for all of us to belong.